Folic Acid or Vitamin B-9 helps your body make DNA and RNA, the genetic “brains” that tell your body how to build cells. More importantly for future moms, if you are taking Vit. B-9 for at least 3-12 months before you get pregnant, it can prevent your baby from dying or being paralyzed for life. Doctors found that women taking B-9 before getting pregnant could prevent 70% or more of these tragic birth defects. These defects occur before you know you are pregnant. Since 50% of pregnancies in the US are unplanned (80% of teen pregnancies) you have to remember (and convince daughters and granddaughters) to take a B-9 pill every day.
A significant number of Neural Tube Defects (NTD) [Spina bifida and anencephalic birth defects] can be prevented by moms taking Folic Acid before getting pregnant.
- Spina bifida (babies born with a hole in the spine) will have lifetime paralysis.
- Anencephalic babies are born without a brain and always die shortly after birth.
How Can You Prevent This From Happening To Your Child Or Grandchild
- All women between 10 and 50 need to take 1 or 2 Vitamin B-9 pills every day (400 or 800 micrograms).
- Vitamin B-9 is cheap and no prescription is required.
- Since 1998 the FDA has required flour and cereal makers to put about 100 micrograms a day in our food but that is not enough.
- Ask your doctor about LARC (Long Acting Reversible Contraception); the best contraception for preventing unplanned pregnancies.
YouTube video links about Vitamin B-9